Additional Course Materials - Level One Electricity
The following materials are SUPPLEMENTARY to those delivered during the course.
Additional Electricity Notes
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 01 DIRECT CURRENTS. Introduction, Drude theory of metals - Free electron model, Electrical current, Current density,
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 02 Resistance and Ohm's law, Resistivity, Electric power & energy transfer, Electomotive force. DIRECT CURRENT (DC) CIRCUITS. Resistors in series, Resistors in parallel, Compound resistor circuits,
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 03 Simple DC circuits, General rules, Divider circuits, Kirchoff's laws (1st law - the node rule, 2nd law - the loop rule),
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 04 Thevenin's theorem. ELECTRICAL MEASUREMENT. Introduction, Potentiometer, Wheatstone Bridge, Galvanometer/Ammeter/Voltmeter.
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 05 ELECTROSTATICS. Electric charge, Charge in matter, Conductors and insulators, Gold leaf electroscope,
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 06 Coulomb's law, Electric field, Electric potential energy.
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 07 DIPOLES. Definition, Dipole moment, Potential due to a dipole, Electric potential energy, Dipole in an electric field.
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 08 GAUSS'S LAW. The electric field and field lines, Electric flux, Gaussian surfaces, Gauss's law, Application to a point charge (zero dimension), Uniform line of charge (1 dimension), Spherical symmetric charge distribution (3 dimension), Relationship between distance r and dimensionality.
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 09 CAPACITORS. Important definitions and units, Capacitors, Spheres, Parallel plate capacitor, A cylindrical capacitor, Capacitors in series, Capacitors in parallel.
- Level 1 Electricty - Lecture 10 DIELECTRICS. Dielectrics and the parallel plate capacitor, Dielectric materials - a description, The use of Gauss's law for capacitors with a dielectric, Energy within a capacitor.
Sample Exam 2005 with Answers
Further Help With Electricity
- Hyper-FLAP sections P3 (Fields) and P4 (Electricity & Magnetism)
- HyperPhysics section on Electricity & Magnetism (hosted at Georgia State University)
- 36 Video Lectures on Electricity & Magnetism (MIT OpenCourseWare)